Sunday, March 22, 2015

Celebrating Spring!

Did you do anything to celebrate spring?
 Any excuse is a good one and a warm sunny Saturday that happens to be the first full day of spring could not be ignored. For Christmas I got this great camp cook grill but had not gotten the chance to try it out. 
I've cooked over fires a million times but have never rotisseried anything outside so this was especially fun. My Big Guy got this tire rim for me last fall as a fire pit and it works perfectly. Tall enough to block the wind and funnel the heat upward.

To go with the 3 chickens (marinated in italian dressing, salt and peppered when I put them on the spit). I chunked up eggplant, yellow squash, red onion and garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil. The heat was cooking the two on the left end faster so I put the skillet under them to catch the drippings, allowing the other continue to cook at higher heat.

I was so pleased when we carved the chickens and the skin was crispy,not burnt but more smoked, the meat smoky and moist. About 2 1/2 hours. Perfect amount of time to sit and visit without any rush. We have a young pig that we are planning to butcher soon and he will be perfect on here! I din't take a picture but for the kids sake I also hung a pan and made mac and cheese. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment